Rape reported on campus

“A University of Akron female was reportedly raped Wednesday night in Spanton Residence Hall. UAPD arrested Raytwan Loftin, 31 of Akron, in connection with the case. He was arrested on Thursday night following a search. Loftin had no problem gaining access to the residence hall since the victim let him in to the room.”

A University of Akron female was reportedly raped Wednesday night in Spanton Residence Hall.

UAPD arrested Raytwan Loftin, 31 of Akron, in connection with the case. He was arrested on Thursday night following a search.

Loftin had no problem gaining access to the residence hall since the victim let him in to the room.

The police report stated the victim and the suspect are acquaintances, UA spokesperson Ken Torisky said. The victim let the suspect enter her room.

The university published two Special Edition Zipmails regarding the rape.

One following the incident and the other after the arrest of Loftin. In both, UA refers to the incident as a sexual assault.

However, UAPD has charged Loftin with rape, a first-degree felony.

This is not Loftin’s first incident with the law.

Prior to Thursday, Loftin had two outstanding warrants for his arrest according to Summit County Court records.

Loftin’s long list of criminal history in Summit County includes operating a moving vehicle with an open container in 1996, failure to comply with police order and driving under a suspended license in 2001, driving under a suspended drivers license in 2004, two charges of domestic violence in 2007 and aggravated trespassing in 2007.

According to Torisky, the UA residence hall handbook allows student residents to have one guest at a time with permission of their roommate. Guests are not allowed to stay longer than three consecutive nights in one or more halls each week.

Student residents are required to register all guests at their residence hall front desk. Residents must also escort their guests at all times. Students are responsible for the actions of their guests and residence hall staff retains the right to ask guests to leave.