Snowden breaks record in first year

“Freshman Keyla Snowden broke the University of Akron’s record for the most 3-point field goals in a single season Saturday, Feb. 9 in a loss at Ball State. Snowden leads the team with a .390 3-point percentage and is fourth on the team in field goal percentage Coming in, I wanted to make a big impact, Snowden said.”

Freshman Keyla Snowden broke the University of Akron’s record for the most 3-point field goals in a single season Saturday, Feb. 9 in a loss at Ball State.

Snowden leads the team with a .390 3-point percentage and is fourth on the team in field goal percentage

Coming in, I wanted to make a big impact, Snowden said. But I wasn’t sure whether I would or not.

Snowden, who currently has 67 3-pointers made, entered the game against Ball State tied for the record with 63. She broke the record with back-to-back treys halfway through the second half.

The record had previously been set by Michelle Chavanne during the 1996-97 season.

At first, breaking the record wasn’t a goal of mine, Snowden said. It never occurred to me that I could actually do it.

Snowden was able to keep her cool as she approached the record.

I never thought that I would break the record as a freshman, Snowden said. I tried to stay relaxed and just focus on the team, not on individual things.

Snowden sought the advice of head coach Jodi Kest during the chase.

Coach Kest told me to keep shooting and be confident with my shot.

Snowden is one of a trio of freshman that has made a major impact on the team.

Kara Murphy and Amanda Sedlack, along with Snowden, have helped lead the young Zips team at a time when the team has been plagued by injuries.

Snowden sees the team improving immensely in the future with a good, young nucleus of players sticking together.

I definitely see us improving and looking good, Snowden said. Our chemistry and the way we play will get a lot better.

The Zips are back in action Saturday at 2 p.m. against Western Michigan at the JAR.

” #1.1361302:1617794225.jpg:Keyla Snowden2.jpg:Keyla Snowden has 67 3-pointers in 2008.:Jeff Harwell / Zips Sports Photography”